Wednesday, August 13, 2014

Listening out for Wisdom

We're hitting Proverbs again; still stuck in Isaiah

Prov 1:20-33

The last part of chapter one has a personification of Wisdom, calling out in the streets and no one will listen to her. She then stipulates the consequences for not listening to Wisdom: death and destruction!
Verse 20 says "Wisdom cries aloud in the street, in the market she raises her voice." I don't know because I wasn't there, but I would imagine the Israelite bazaar was a very noisy one.
What I do know is that here in Cordoba, the downtown city area is packed with people that are shopping, waitinig for friends? chilling, doing all sorts of things.  There are a lot--a lot-- of people selling flyers and candy and flowers and other things right there on the street.  The cry out "I SELL SOCCER BALLS I SELL SOCCER BALLS I SELL SOCCER BALLS," over and over and over again. So downtown Cordoba is really noisy.  And Wisdom is supposed to be another one of those voices crying out?
I guess the writer of this passage is saying that there are a lot of voices in life, telling you which direction to take. "What happens in Vegas stays in Vegas." "You only live once-YOLO!" "You've got to misbehave in Cordoba!"
But there is also the voice of Wisdom in our lives, and as Chrisitans we might call it the Holy Spirit, but in this passage it could also be plain old Wisdom- the fear of the Lord and common sense.  Pray for me to listen out for it here. And you listen out for it too.

No comments:

Post a Comment